Highland Cattle, painted in 1900 by Louis Bosworth Hurt, has been reinstalled in the Reading Room. During its three-month course of treatment in the hands of professional fine-art conservator, Cyndie Lack, the entire work was cleaned and restored. Flaking surface paint was consolidated, missing paint infilled, scratches and abrasions refinished, and the badly damaged signature restored. Ms. Lack’s work included repairing the frame: removing bronze over-paint from the gilded finish then damaged areas were filled and in-painted.
It is not known exactly when Highland Cattle was acquired, but our ownership probably dates from the building of the present club-house in 1913.